Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a Homeowners’ Exemption?

New property owners will usually receive an exemption form within 90 days of the recorded deed. The property owner must own and occupy the residence to receive this exemption. This exemption reduces your assessed value by as much as $7,000. A homeowner filing for the first time on the property may file anytime after the property becomes their personal property but no later than February 15 to receive the full exemption for that year. To claim the exemption, the homeowner must make a one-time filing of the form BOE-266 (Claim for Homeowners’ Property Tax Exemption) which is available on our website or at the Assessor’s Office.

How is the value of my boat determined?

The Assessor uses various methods to determine value,l including the purchase price of the vessel, improvements or upgrades, and recent sales of comparable vessels in the open market.

I sold my boat months ago but I am still receiving the tax bill. Why?

Liability for vessel property taxes attaches to its owner as of 12:01am on January 1 each year. If you were not the owner on January 1, but are still receiving the bill, you need to contact the “Assessor’s Office to clear owner shop of the vessel.


January 1-Lien Date of each year.
February 15-Last day to file exemption claims to receive 100% exemption. (Homeowners’, Church, Religious, Welfare, Museum, Cemetery, Historical Aircraft, Veterans’, and Blind or Disabled Veterans’)
April 10-Last day to pay second installment of secured real estate taxes.
May 7-Last day to file Business Property Statements without penalty.
July 1-First day of the fiscal year.
July 2-November 30- Property owner’s can file an appeal with the Clerk of the Board.
December 10-Last day to pay first installment of secured real estate taxes.

My name is not spelled correctly on the property tax bill. How can I have the spelling corrected or changed?

The name on a property bill must appear exactly as it did on the last recorded document. If the name was spelled incorrectly on the recorded document, you must record a new docu7ment with the Clerk-Recorder. If the name is misspelled due to a typographical error on our part, give us a call and we will gladly correct it.

What can I do if I disagree with the assessed value on my property tax bill?

If you disagree with the assessed value of your property, you should first contact your county assessor’s office to request a review of the value. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may contact the Clerk of the Board for an application. Appeals of regular assessments must be filed between July 2 and November 30. Appeals of supplemental of escape assessments must be filed within 60 days of the date of “Notice of Supplemental Assessment” of “Notice of Enrollment of Escape Assessment.”

What is considered business personal property?

Business personal property includes all property, except inventory items held for sale or equipment held for sale or equipment held for short-term rental and real estate owned and/or used by a business. (Ex: office furniture, computers, machinery, drill presses and hand tools).

What should I do when I sell my boat?

Notify the Assessor’s Office in writing with information regarding the sale, including the buyer’s name, address and the sales price.

Where can I obtain the necessary forms to change title?

Most stationary and office supply stores carry blank documents that can be used to change title, such as a Grant Deed or Quitclaim Deed.

Who must file a business property statement 571-L form? Where can I find the form?

All individual and/or business entities must file. You will need your BIN number to file which can be received by calling the Assessor’s Office or emailing us at This form can be electronically filed at

Why do I have to pay tax on my boat?

California Constitution Article XIII and Section 1 states that all property is taxable unless the Legislature exempts it.